At the moment the only part of the greater park which can be visited by the public is the Temple of Harmony. It is a smaller copy of the Temple of Portunus in Rome and was completed in 1767. It is Grade II* listed and was fully restored by the Somerset Buildings Preservation Trust in 1996.
Today the Temple is managed by the Halswell Park Trust and can be visited from Sunday 1 May 2016 until 25 September 2016 on Sundays and Bank Holidays between 2 pm and 5 pm. Please click on the links on the navigation bar at the top of every page to find out more.
The Halswell Park Trust, a registered charity, was formed in 1996 following the restoration of the Temple of Harmony an 18th century folly standing in the corner of Mill Wood, a 19 acre pleasure garden created for Sir Charles Kemeys Tynte on the Halswell Park Estate between 1745 and 1785.
The Trust’s charitable purpose is set out in its Deed and is:
“The Objects of the Charity shall be to preserve, restore and maintain for the benefit of the people of the County of Somerset in particular and the public generally certain land, garden and other buildings, follies, fish ponds, bridges, cascades and other structures situate within the former Halswell Park Estate, at Goathurst, in the County of Somerset and to provide appropriate public access to such land, buildings, follies, fish ponds, bridges, cascades and other structures so as to educate the public in the aesthetic value and architectural quality thereof.”